The BEST Mac n Cheese
As the summer slides into autumn, we can take comfort in more wholesome dinners. This mac-n-cheese is just that. Our plant based parmesan is the star of the show here. Recipe below!
I N G R E D I E N T S
200g macaroni noodles
100g of cauliflower; broken into small florets
60 ml olive oil
5 cloves garlic; minced
40g all-purpose flour
500ml Plant Based Milk
40g Plant Based Parmesan
18g nutritional yeast
15g bread crumbs (optional)
salt and pepper
D I R E C T I O N S
1. Pre-heat oven to Broil / high heat.
2. Bring large pot of salted water to a boil. Add macaroni and cauliflower, and cook for 8 min. Drain, and cover with a cloth.
3. Heat a large skillet over medium. Once hot add oil and minced garlic. Stir to avoid burning, and cook for 1-2 min until light brown.
4. Add flour and whisk into oil and garlic. Cook for 1 minute.
5. Whisk in Plant Based milk 1/2 cup at a time until all is added. Cook for 2 min, stirring frequently. Adjust the thickness of the sauce by adding flour (to thicken) or plant based milk (to thin) if needed.
6. Transfer sauce to a blender and add plant based parmesan, nutritional yeast, salt and pepper (to taste) and blend until smooth. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed; add more parm and nutritional yeast to up the cheesy-ness.
7. Return sauce back to pan for 2-3 min.
8. Add cooked pasta + cauliflower to sauce and toss to coat.
9. Transfer everything to an oven safe dish, and top with a spoonful of nutritional yeast and the bread crumbs. Drizzle with olive oil on top.
10. Place on top rack of the oven until golden brown. Watch closely as it can burn quickly.
TIP: Don’t throw away your cauliflower leaves! They are a great source of calcium, iron, and fibre. And they taste amazing. We like to top them with some dill, salt and pepper and roast them in the oven until tender.